My Journey In Accepting Praise

Ever hear someone compliment your work only to feel the undeniable need to deflect or minimize it? Like this...


Doug: I listened to your podcast. Really great job, Sarah.

Sarah: It's not as good as it's gonna be. I'll make it better. The sound quality is nowhere near where it needs to be.

Doug: Well, I liked it.

Sarah: That's nice of you to say.


I've been in so many conversations like this. And I've been both parts. Sometimes, I'm Doug trying to give someone a compliment who refuses to take it. And other times I've been Sarah, impervious to any positive thing you attempt to toss my way.

I'm grateful to report that, I am way better at accepting praise than I ever have been before. But it was a journey to get here. 

In my teens and twenties, I either diminished compliments out loud or I managed to say 'thank you' but tear it to shreds inside my own head.

The way I was able to break this habit was by really listening to people when I found myself in the Doug role. I would hear people talk their way out of accepting praise and it made me angry. Felt like they were refusing a gift. How rude!

Oh, wait. I do that. I refuse gifts all the time.

Okay, so what's the worst thing that would happen if I actually took the compliment and internalized it for what it is rather than grind it into dust?

Well, if I do that, then I might not feel motivated to get better and do better work in the future.

Wait, what? Accepting praise for my work will prevent me from making more better work?

Thankfully, I realized the ridiculousness of this logic. I like compliments. I like praise. Why would I refuse to accept it when I can use it as something to motivate me to create.

This realization was super helpful putting things into perspective, but the well-worn neural pathway to instantly deflect compliments like Neo deflected bullets in The Matrix was quick on the draw.

How do I interrupt that reflex?

Ready for the secret...

Breathing.

I'm not kidding. It's that simple.

When I felt the urge to respond quickly to a compliment, I trained myself to instead take a breath. Slow down. Wait for that impulse to pass, smile, and thank the person. 

Then, later, remind myself of what they said. Maybe even write it down. Spend some time focusing on it. Appreciating it and telling myself that most people probably aren't lying. 

A younger me would hear all this and roll his eyes. This is what weak people do. That's what I would have thought. But now I know that our greatest strength as humans comes from the connections we have to others. 

Accepting praise from others is one of the benefits of being a creator. It's awesome. We should own that.

Do you have issues accepting praise? What have you tried to deal with it? What has worked?

Stay curious!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Depressive Episodes"

Imposter Syndrome (aka The Resistance)